We all know that in order to have fabulous hair days we need to put some time, effort and good all tender loving care into our hair. Considering the facts that we torture our hair on a daily basis with heat styling, teasing and sometimes colouring, it’s crucial to remember to put moisture back into our hair with masks. Barcelona Hair Academy tells you the 10 rules of hair masks in order for you to use them properly!
- Use a mask once a week: the change of seasons can be hard on your strands, so it’s good to have the habit of using a hair mask weekly to make sure your hair has the moisture it needs.
- Not all masks are the same: be careful to read the directions before you buy any product. Some may be marketed as masks but actually require daily use, while others are heavier and therefore should just be used once or twice a week. Some ask you to leave it on for 1 or 2 minutes and others up to 15, so choose one that suits your necessity and you see yourself sticking to the routine.
- You can apply a hair mask to dry hair: it needs time commitment, but you can apply your mask to dry hair and let it absorb for about 20 minutes.
- You can sleep in your hair mask: if you think your hair is especially dry, try sleeping in a hair mask. Apply the mask at the end of your shower (or apply to dry hair) and cover with a shower cap.
- Applying a hair mask doesn’t need to take all day: you can put in a mask for 2 minutes as you are in the shower and still get the moisture boost that your hair needs.
- Your hair should not be greasy after: if you find that your hair is greasy after you apply a mask, you are most likely using one that is too heavy for your hair type. Also, don’t go overboard with the application, a little goes a long way.
- You should still shampoo and condition after: you’ll always want to shampoo and condition your hair after you use a mask in order to make sure you won’t have any product build-up leftover, and to make sure your hair is left in top condition.
- There are tons of DIY recipes that work just as well: since the goal of a hair mask is to add moisture to your hair, there are plenty of easy ways to achieve this with natural products. Ingredients like yogurt, honey and olive oil will get your strands looking great in no time.
- You should comb the mask through your hair: as a reminder, you should always be using a wide tooth comb when handling wet hair – and when you apply a mask you should comb it thought to the ends to make sure you’ve applied it to every last spot.
- Concentrate on the ends of the hair: your ends are the most fragile part of your hair, so always concentrate your mask to the ends of your hair as they are most likely the part that needs the most loving.
Stay tuned for more tips for healthy hair. Barcelona Hair Academy cares about you and your clients, if you want to know more about our hairdressing courses don’t hesitate visiting our website!